Here are the details of how to register for GRE test if you plan to study abroad. If you do, you might have already gone through a lot of study materials of competitive tests like GRE. In this article, we will provide you a list of the do’s and don’ts before you register for the GRE examination.
It is crucial to plan your test before hand as well as invest time and prepare well in advance for the exam before you register. By doing this, you will come to know how many days are left for the test so that you can plan your revisions accordingly.
Register for the test in the official GRE ETS Portal
Let us assist you with few important things that you should remember. Here is a step wise explanation.
Steps to Register for GRE Test
- The first step is to create your account in the above specified link. It is “My GRE Account”.
- While paying for an online test, you can prefer a credit or a debit card. You can use your own or if you don’t have one, you can borrow from your friend too. You will find the details of the accepted cards on the website.
- After creating an account, fill in the details in the application form. Please be cautious while filling. Suppose you are a citizen of India, then you must have a PASSPORT and the name mentioned in the application form should be the same that exists in the PASSPORT. Process doesn’t accept other documents.
- A personal suggestion to the applicants from our side is; although there are other options to register, we suggest you to prefer online. Not even phone, if you use the phone to register, be careful to spell your details.
- Now, it may seem like a very simple thing but it might lead to confuse you if you don’t remember your user name and the email ID you registered through. The thing is that nowadays people have more than 1 email –ID.
- Choose proper date at least 1 month before the exam. Otherwise you might not get proper time for preparation. Besides it will be helpful if there are any date unavailability.
- Choose the date and location of the examination center where you are comfortable and your transport is easier. Sometimes test centers may be full on your preferred date. For such cases, you can see the date and center details in: ETS Revised General Centers and Dates
- Most of the preferred type is an online test. Some centers have paper – based test availability also. Clear all your preferences before choosing the center.
- If in your present attempt, you are not happy with the GRE scores you gained, you can take the GRE again. If it is a computer based test, you can retake after your previous attempt up to 5 times in the subsequent 12 months. But if it is a paper based test, you can be write as many times it is offered.
- Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions. Take a printout and preserve it with you. Because it contains your entire exam details like test date and location.
How to pay the GRE exam fees in India (GRE fees details)
The payment of GRE (Graduate Record Examination) fees in India has a variable ways. It is the most popular and standard test for the international education aspirants to apply to the universities all around the world.
The test taker’s ability in verbal, quantitative and analytical thinking is validated in the GRE examination. This exam is conducted by ETS and it is held throughout the year. This is preferably an online test except in some countries where it is held on paper (happens in a very few parts of the world).
GRE fees details in India:
In fact, $205 is the cost of ETS conducted GRE examination. If you wish to know the cost in terms of Indian currency, it is around Rs. 13,330. The calculation unit is 1 US dollar = Rs. 65 approx. Please check the exact conversion at the time of ETS GRE fees payment in India.
GRE fee to reschedule and centre change:
If you have to reschedule, say change the date of your test or change the examination center, ETS would charge with $50 which is approximately Rs. 3250. Change in the test date and test center will cost of $50 each.
So, check out with your dates before applying for the GRE exam. In addition to this, ETS charges late registration fee for paper based exam for late payments. And the penalty is $25 which is Rs. 1625 approximately.
GRE fees for special request:
However, candidates who want to avail additional services should pay some additional fees as mentioned below.
|Changing test center||$50|
|GRE subject change fees||$50|
|Rescheduling fee for the rest of the world||$50|
Different payment modes – GRE test:
There are some modes/ ways through which ETS accepts the fees payments. Let’s see what they are;
- Debit/Credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, JCB, American Express)
- Money order
- E – Cheque service (draw against US)
You can move forward to pay the GRE fees once you decide the date and center of the examination.
Fee Refund Policy (GRE):
There is no 100% refund for ETS GRE. The maximum eligible amount of the refund is 50%. If the candidate wishes to be eligible for refund, he/she has to cancel their registration within a point four days before the test.
In addition to this, if the payment is done through Debit/Credit cards,you will get the amount refunded to the same bank account. Suppose it is paypal, they will refund in the same paypal account.
Standby testing (paper – delivered test):
The candidate has to pay an additional amount of $25. Standby testing is exceptionally available for paper based tests. It deals with paper based general GRE and GRE subject tests. This phenomenon often occurs when there is no online based testing facility in that area.
Note that the process of standby testing is not available for Monday or in some countries like India, Iran, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan or Mainland China.